If you are serving you should consider contacting your local Naval Service Family & People Support (NS FPS) first.
For applications for financial assistance which are likely to be under £700 you can apply simply online using this Application Form.
Please email your completed form to email@example.com
If your application is likely to require assistance above £700 then we need a report from a caseworker. Please contact either SSAFA or The Royal British Legion (TRBL) to arrange for them to contact you. RNBT will then take action on their report. Here are the links to SSAFA and TRBL.
How the grants process works:
You email a completed online Application Form. Alternatively, a qualified Caseworker from one of the organisations that work with the RNBT, (SSAFA, The Royal British Legion and the Naval Service Family & People Support), will contact you and will then complete an Application for Assistance, setting out your personal and financial circumstances.
The Caseworker will submit the Application for Assistance to the RNBT which will be vetted by our Grants Administrators who may liaise with other charities as part of the almonisation process. The majority of cases are decided upon by the Grants Administrators, but more complex or costly applications are passed to the Grants Committee for consideration.
Each Grants Committee decision is approved by three Committee members, who are themselves serving or ex-serving RN ratings or RM other ranks. They met prior to the pandemic outbreak once a week to consider applications, applications are now considered by email in order to observe social distancing restrictions.
Criteria for the award of a grant
- You are a member of The RNBT Family
- You are in financial need or distress
- You need financial assistance from the RNBT to help you achieve a reasonable quality of life
Coronavirus – Crisis and Urgent Cases for Support
Yours is a ‘Crisis case’ if
- You are unable to feed yourself or you are unable to clothe yourself
- You could be made homeless if immediate support not provided
Yours is an ‘Urgent case’ if
- You need an intervention, payment or decision within 24 to 48 hours. If this doesn’t happen you would become a ‘crisis’ case (i.e. unable to feed yourself, clothe yourself or could be made homeless).
What to do
If you are a ‘crisis’ or an ‘urgent’ case call RNBT on 02392 660296 between 0830 and 1600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and mark your email ‘crisis case’ or ‘urgent case’. You will be answered by one of the Grants Team who will take down your details and address your issues.
Please be ready to:
- Prove that you or your spouse or partner served in the Royal Navy or Royal Marines (Service Number plus some details of service)
- Provide your bank account details for urgent payments (name of account; sort code; account number – details are on your bank debit card)
Lost your job? Need Help with re-training for employment?
If you are considering your options for future employment, training, learning or wanting to diversify, RNBT and others have funding available to help you retrain to secure employment.
If the cost of your course is likely to be over £700 you will need to contact your local SSAFA or TRBL and ask them to raise the necessary paperwork so it can be forwarded to us for consideration. You will need to provide details of the course and future employment if applicable.
Need more help?
It can be difficult asking for help, and application processes can be confusing. If you need more help do not hesitate to contact RNBT on 02392 660296. Our Grants Administrators will be only too pleased to talk to you. We are here to help you!